Can dealer ignore 30 day demand letter from my lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I'm currently suing my car dealer for fraud. It's been 2 years since I got an attorney to help with my case. We have sent them a 30 day demand letter June 16, 2012. It is now, August... the 30 day passed, within the 30 days I have not heard from anyone. What does this mean? The dealer has obviously been delaying everything, is there anything that they could be doing to delay this? Did they not have to respond to that demand letter?

1. David M Blain

3

Answered . You should speak with your attorney as to what will happen next.

2. Erik Priedkalns

3

Answered . I agree with everything my colleagues said. Call your attorney to make sure your case hasn't fallen from his/her attention. Also, I assume the letter included some sort of "or else" language. If the threatened consequences are not pursued, the dealership may see this as a sign that you are not serious about your case, and they may simply ignore the matter.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . There is not enough information to advise you what to do, nor any indication what you demanded the dealer to do within the 30 days.

You indicate that you are "currently suing" the dealer, which I interpret to mean a lawsuit has already been filed. If so, the dealer has no obligation to respond to a demand letter. The dealer only has to respond to the summons and complaint.

4. Scott Richard Kaufman

Pro

2

Answered . The 30 day letter is likely a CLRA demand letter. Once it is expired your attorney may wish to file an action against the stealership. That said, it's best if you consult with your attorney on what is the next step for this matter.