Can dcf force husband to pay support during pending divorce

Asked almost 2 years ago - Palm Beach, FL

Case underway wife filed vs hubby (me) I don't yet have lawyer. Judge told wife case too early to award interim child support so she went to dcf...wants to circumvent judge/paying her lawyer. I'm worried.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brittney Cecilia Gutin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Do you mean that your wife went to the Department of Revenue (DOR)? They can establish child support in cases. Usually, if it is established via DOR that case will eventually be consolidated into your current divorce proceeding.

    Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be... more
  2. Melissa Engle Peat

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The Department of Children and Families deals with the issue(s) involving the safe environment and treatment of the child(ren). They are not collectors. However, the Department of Revenue does assume that role in relation to child support and can ask the Court to award child support. Remember, child support is for the benefit of the child(ren). It would benefit you to speak with an attorney who can advise you regarding what has occurred so far in the case, what your financial position will dictate in terms of child support and spousal support and the likelihood of your wife prevailing on a Motion for Temporary Support. An attorney can also assist you should the Department of Revenue file in relation to child support.

  3. Earl Kenneth Mallory


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have a child or children, both you and your wife both have an obligation to support them. Child support is controlled by Fla. Stat. S. 61.30. It is available on-line. Do the right thing. Support your kids. It does no good to anyone for you to not fulfil your legal and moral obligations.

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Mallory Law Group, pursuant to an executed employment agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Earl K. Mallory (561)743-3708.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,270 answers this week

2,928 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,270 answers this week

2,928 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary