Can DACA applicants practice Law in California /Immigration

Asked 7 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hello, I have a big question Can Daca Applicants practice law in California I'm attending college next year and I would sure love to know. I hope that i'm not asking too much but how is the job market for attorneys right now.? My dream is to become an immigration attorney.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

7

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, California Supreme Court came up with a decision that an illegal alien from Mexico (who grew up in the state) can practice law in CA.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

5

Answered . Yes, you can become an attorney, but unless you get work authorization, no firm can legally hire you.
    See the link for the story on Sergio Garcia.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/us/immigrant-...

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

1

Answered . This is not an immigration law quesiton, except to the extent that to work one needs employment authorization.

4. Lucas Michael Paulick

2

Answered . One of the attorneys above provided a link to a recent case. It was a subject of much debate, and a review of it will answer most of your questions.
    Keep your work authorization current, and stay abreast of what happens, if anything, with immigration reform. Pay particular attention, of course, to what the government is proposing to do with the DACA program.
    I'm glad you are taking advantage of the opportunity. Best of luck!

5. Rebecca Margarita Medina

Answered . Congratulations on wanting to seek such an opportunity and best of luck in your endeavor. Based on recent precedent, you can become a licensed attorney in California! As has been stated, you will need the proper work authorization in order to work for a law firm. However, that shouldn't stop you from the possibility of opening your own practice which remains an option for you. The job market has its ups and downs but with persistence and motivation, you can make it! Si se puede!

6. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Answered . In California, yes. In Florida, based upon a Florida Supreme Court decision issued today, the answer is no.