Can custodial parent allow not custodial parent to live with him and children temporarily?

Asked 7 months ago - Orlando, FL

My wife abducted children three months ago. I received custody of three children yesterday on a temporary order until my petition for dissolution is pending. Now when I am about to take children back home into my custody, my wife asks me to allow her to come with children to stay in my home. So far she stayed in house of her cousin. She in fact has no work, no source of income. My question is: What if I give her an opportunity to stay with me and children temporarily. Will this not be violation of court order that gives me primary residential custody?

1. Brent Allan Rose

2

1

Answered . However stupid a move it might be, if all your order says it that you have temporary time share (it doesn't say, "primary residential custody," because judges aren't allowed to use those terms any more), you are allowed to let your wife stay with you and the children. But you probably ought to sit down and speak with a lawyer about it first because you've only listed a tiny amount of information here, and a lawyer needs a lot of information to advise you on a situation like yours.

2. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

Answered . I agree with Attorney Rose. You should speak with an attorney immediately. It might not be a wise idea to allow your wife to come back home given that she ran away with the children, but it sounds like from the order it is permissible. You will probably need to ask for exclusive use and possession. Start contacting attorneys.

3. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

Answered . I would highly recommend you speak with a local and experienced family law attorney right away.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora
    Orlando Family Law Attorney