Can cops touch you when they are interrogating you?

Spring, TX |

I know the shows like Law and Order are beyond false, but when you are being interrogated, is the interrogator allowed to touch you? Is it apart of their tactics?

"Touched"? They cannot assault you. Can they put their hand on your arm? That's probably okay.

If the police have reason to interrogate you, you need to lawyer up.

Cynthia Henley
713-222-1220

Nothing prohibits them from touching you. Obviously they cannot assault a person or touch them in a sexual manner. Most interrogations are videotaped.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

I have found that the more aggressively law enforcement attempts to get a statement, the more they need that statement to make an arrest or secure a conviction. Stop the interrogation. Demand an attorney be present, and do not cave in to their pressures. Always demand an attorney and exercise your right to remain silent.

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

I can't think of any situation where it is appropriate for an officer to touch you during an interrogation unless you are being arrested. You need to get an attorney to advise you before speaking to the police again.

Dustan Neyland
Law Offices of Dustan Neyland
Four Kingwood Place
900 Rockmead, Ste. 132
Kingwood, TX 77339

Tel: 281-312-0155
Fax: 281-312-0154

www.neylandlegal.com