Can cops search my home if they arrested me for marijuana possession of 3 grams in the street?

Asked 12 months ago - Salt Lake City, UT

Is that itself a probable cause?

1. Erick Masten Platten

Pro

4

Answered . A search warrant for the home is necessary for them to enter the home and search. If any contraband was located a good lawyer should file a motion to suppress to argue that the evidence discovered is the fruit of the poisonous tree and should be suppressed.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

2. Bryce William Kartchner

2

Answered . Under the facts stated, the officers would not have probable cause to search your home if you were arrested on the street for carrying 3 grams of marijuana.

3. Neil W Harris

2

Answered . Unless the police have probable cause, for example they see minors drink or adults using drugs in their presence. The police will need a search warrant issued by a judge, unless you give them consent to search your house. NEVER give the police consent to search your house, car, or other property. Cite your constitutional rights as the reason you will not give consent. Often the police will ask what you are hiding. Simply answer that you are exercising your constitutional rights as a US Citizen.
    If the police search your house without a valid warrant, your attorney can file a Motion to Suppress. Also, even if the police obtained a warrant your attorney maybe able to challenge the warrant because your arrest was not in your home.

4. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

3

Answered . Under the facts you present, no, that's not probable cause to search your home.

5. Kevin S. Vander Werff

Pro

1

Answered . The cops either need permission from you to search your home, or they HAVE to obtain a search warrant to enter and search the home, based on the facts given. Your constitutional rights may have been violated from them entering your home.

6. R. Spencer Robinson II

1

Answered . Law enforcement may enter your home if:

1 You consent

2 They have a warrant based on probable cause that particularly described the person or place to be searched and the evidence to be seized.

3 They have probable cause accompanied by exigent circumstances (some kind of emergency) that they did not create. If they can secure a place until a warrant is obtained, there are no exigent circumstances.

Based on your brief statement, it does not appear any of those apply. To more fully advise you, it would be useful to see the "official" version of what transpired.

7. Paul M Grant

1

Answered . Not without a warrant