Skip to main content

Can convicted felons with drug charges get Medicaid benefits in the state of Arkansas?

Conneaut Lake, PA |

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Arkansas to be closer to family. We are currently living in PA. I have just found out that in AR you can not get SNAP benefits if you are convicted of a drug felony, that is fine, what is more important is if my husband is able to receive Medicaid benefits in Arkansas, he is on medication for a mental illness. He has all of this documented through doctors in PA.

Attorney Answers 2


Since no one has answered this, I will take a shot. Call a local elder law attorney and ask about the eligibility requirements and the impact of your conviction in AR. You will need to reapply in AR (Medicaid is not transferable from state to state) so it would be a good idea to know whether you have a problem before you make the move. Finally, during this conversation you should inquire about what, if any, mental health and other benefits are available in AR. You might find that they are significantly different. To get a good referral go to either the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys or Elder Counsel. Good Luck!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Mr. Stewart is correct. Benefits vary from state to state. If you want to be informed as to the available benefits in AR, you should consult with an elder law attorney in that area for analysis of your situation and for an evaluation of how you fit into the AR scheme of Medicaid benefits.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

State, local, and municipal law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics