Can contemptuous behavior be filed after the divorce for wrongfully removing the spouse from insurance during the divorce?

Asked over 2 years ago - Houston, TX

Due to time limitations the contemptuous behavior will need to be addressed after trial.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

12

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this. My collegue answered your question perfectly and I suggest that if you have any other issues consult his office. The only other thing I could add is that if the contempt is a violation of the court judgement then you may file a contempt for failing to abide by the court order or judgment. Take care and I hope that things get better.

2. Eric Richard Little

3

Answered . Generally speaking, probably not. As a general rule, once a divorce decree is entered, all acts and omissions occurring prior to the date of divorce are considered barred from future litigation. This is known as the doctrine of res judicata. If less than thirty days have elapsed since the decree was entered, it may be possible to move for a new trial, but keep in mind that such a motion, if granted, would roll the divorce back to square one and all issues and questions of property, custody, etc. that were resolved by the divorce decree would be fair game for litigation. I don't know what time limitations you are referring to which prevented filing a contempt motion earlier, but if you need to settle your mind on this question I would suggest consulting with a qualified attorney who could get all the facts necessary to answer your question in a confidential setting.

3. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

1

Answered . The divorce decree will likely end all the pending litigation. Do you already have a motion for enforcement/contempt filed against your spouse? If so, get it heard before the entry of the decree if at all possible. Once the decree is signed, it will likely end all obligations in force because of the temporary orders. Talk to your lawyer ASAP.