Can child support effect my deportation

Asked 11 months ago - Wichita, KS

i have been married for 2 years . iam on deportation . and i applied for 1-130 and had an interview and i was approved and then i applied for i785 and im waiting for my court hearing which it will be next year
however im separated from wife at the moment . we do have a child together . and the child support services trying to collect child support from me . the reason we are separated because my wife abused drugs when she was living with me . and she used to hit me too and i did report this to the cops and there is case open for domestic voilence aginst her but i didnt press any charges do i have a chance if we are still married but separated ! ... also please dont tell me to file for abuse because i asked so many lawyers and they said i dont have a case. any way will child support effect

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Daniel Patrick Hanlon


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, delinquent child support will affect your case. Hire an immigration attorney to represent you in removal proceedings.

  2. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . There is not enough facts to advise you properly here. And you may have a case for the domestic violence or VAWA. Also, if you are in removal proceedings, then you should have a lawyer representing you and you should consult with your lawyer about your case. If you don't have an immigration lawyer, I highly recommend that you hire one, because your case is very serious.

    Follow Gintare Grigaite, Esq. on Facebook (search for Gintare Grigaite, Esq.). Contact immigration lawyer Gintare... more
  3. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes, failure to pay child support is deemed bad moral character.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,894 answers this week

3,105 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,894 answers this week

3,105 attorneys answering