Can child receive social security benefits if biological father (now deceased) signed over his rights and child is now adopted?

Asked over 4 years ago - Winsted, CT

I married my now ex-wife and adopted her son. His biological father signed over his rights just after birth. His biological father is now deceased. Even though I adopted him can he still receive his biological father's social security survivor benefits?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If child is legal dependent of another and a court had severed all rights between the father and the child, I don't think the child qualifies as a legal dependent of the father. As such, I don't think the child is qualified for any benefits.

    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,351 answers this week

3,049 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,351 answers this week

3,049 attorneys answering