Can catholic school teachers tell students when another student has been kicked out of school? or is it a privacy violation?

Newark, NJ |

Daughter in 8th grade, been w/ school since kindergarten, graduation was to be in 2 mos. School asked her & only her to sign a contract. She was kicked out for cell & INTERNET use that others were also violating. Actually the phone was in her pocket, not being used, but it's supposed to be in backpack (no kids follow the rule). 1teacher told a class that was misbehaving "isn't it enough that one person was expelled". Another said that a kid was kicked out of school. She is the only person not coming back, so it's obvious who the child is. There were many injusts with what happened to my daughter but since it's a catholic school, I assume I have no recourse. However, it seems more than simply inappropriate that teachers can talk about the student. She was not in school when teachers spoke.

The comments to the students as you describe them were "teaching opportunities" and not unlawful.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

If she was not there, then how do you know the accuracy of the story? I do not think that this would be actionable.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

Without specifically mentioning your daughter or other clearly identifying information, there would not be a violation of the law governing student records (FERPA). Even so, there is no private right of action to enforce that statute.