Can catholic school teachers tell students when another student has been kicked out of school? or is it a privacy violation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

Daughter in 8th grade, been w/ school since kindergarten, graduation was to be in 2 mos. School asked her & only her to sign a contract. She was kicked out for cell & INTERNET use that others were also violating. Actually the phone was in her pocket, not being used, but it's supposed to be in backpack (no kids follow the rule). 1teacher told a class that was misbehaving "isn't it enough that one person was expelled". Another said that a kid was kicked out of school. She is the only person not coming back, so it's obvious who the child is. There were many injusts with what happened to my daughter but since it's a catholic school, I assume I have no recourse. However, it seems more than simply inappropriate that teachers can talk about the student. She was not in school when teachers spoke.

1. Stuart M Nachbar

Pro

Answered . If she was not there, then how do you know the accuracy of the story? I do not think that this would be actionable.

2. Jonathan Seth Corchnoy

Answered . Without specifically mentioning your daughter or other clearly identifying information, there would not be a violation of the law governing student records (FERPA). Even so, there is no private right of action to enforce that statute.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . The comments to the students as you describe them were "teaching opportunities" and not unlawful.