Skip to main content

Can Bureau of Prisons place me directly in a halfway house?

Saint Louis, MO |

I received a ten month sentence for a fraud case. I don't have a criminal record and am non-violent. What are the chances that Bureau of Prisons have me serve home confinement or directly to a halfway house? Thank you!

Attorney Answers 2

  1. I added tags to your request so a criminal defense lawyer is likely to see your question. Or find one on AVVO or through the local bar association.

    David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

  2. By law, the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) is prohibited from designating any inmate to home confinement for more than six months, or ten percent of their sentence, whichever is less. The BOP does have the authority, though, to designate you to a halfway house for your whole sentence. Nonetheless, I believe that something like that would be unlikely.

Federal crime topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics