Can boyfriend's mom take my child away?

Asked 8 months ago - Littleton, CO

I'm a young mom, with a three year old daughter, work two jobs, and pay for everything. I don't get along with my daughter's grandmother, which is my boyfriend's mom. She's always threatening to take my daughter away from me. Is there any way she could? It really stresses me out that she would even say this.

1. Kristen Mclaughlin Tarrin

4

1

Answered . Probably not. There are certain laws that apply to grandparent "rights." She could threaten to call human services before she could "take your daughter away from you." As long as your daughter has her basic needs met and she is not in any danger then you probably have nothing to worry about. There are some situations in which a grandparent has rights to visitation.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

4

1

Answered . No. She does not have any standing to do so. So, it is an idle or fake threat. Only you and the father of the child have parenting rights. The only party that can intervene is the Department of Social Services Child Protection Services Unit if they believe that the children are being neglected or abused.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

1

Answered . She has no chance.