Can board members talk trash and retaliate against you on personal subjects?

Westminster, CA |

I am being requested to remove my small home gym from my own garage. I do not believe that I have to comply with the request. The request is retaliation because I requested that my next door neighbor attach his annoying chime when it's windy. The neighbor in question is a board member. After a quick chat with my other next door neighbor, I was told that that neighbor (board member) and the president went around over the weekend talking trash about us to other neighbors. Do I have any recourse to fight this retaliation and defamation done by both a board member and the board's president against me?

1. Sounds as if you have an HOA. If that is the case what u can and can not due us based upon the CCandR''s. An attorney should be able to help you for a small fee.

2. HOA disputes can often be very petty, from someone complaining about a wind chime to someone else complaining about a home gym. The HOA rules, regulations, bylaws, cc&rs, etc. will determine what process needs to be followed. People can generally say whatever they want about you. Whether that will support a lawsuit depends on what is being said and whether you suffered any injury from it. Petty HOA disputes often do not support defamation claims.
    Consult a lawyer in person to see if your situation might.