Can back child support be taken from my SSI Disability check. and how can I make them have a DNA test to prove he is my child?

Asked about 2 years ago - Clarkesville, GA

The child is 30yrs old and I have never seen him and was not present at his birth, I never signed the birth certificate and do not believe he is mine. This has just started in the past 2yrs

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Daniel Ellis Rice

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First, you are not clear as to whether some form of legal action has been initiated (e.g., child support, etc.). However, before child support can be ordered, at least paternity has to be proven. I advise initiating a paternity action (if one has not already been initiated), and getting a DNA test ordered for yourself, the child, and the mother. Child support can be sought based on SSD, but considering the child is 30 yrs old, I believe you may have a strong case against any c/s claim this far removed from their minority. I strongly advise that you speak with a family law attorney about this, in part because I suspect there is more going on here than you have stated. Good luck.

  2. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You've left out facts here needed to answer you. To owe support there had to have been a court order against you while the child was a minor. Discuss that omitted information with your lawyer.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  3. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Before you can be held liable for child support paternity has to be established. Child support obligations are one of the few exceptions that SS allows garnishment proceedings for.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more

Related Topics

Child support arrears

Child support arrears refers to support payments that are past due. There are several available options for collecting (or repaying) unpaid child support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,364 answers this week

2,244 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,364 answers this week

2,244 attorneys answering