Can back child support be taken from my SSI Disability check. and how can I make them have a DNA test to prove he is my child?

Asked about 2 years ago - Clarkesville, GA

The child is 30yrs old and I have never seen him and was not present at his birth, I never signed the birth certificate and do not believe he is mine. This has just started in the past 2yrs

1. Daniel Ellis Rice

3

Answered . First, you are not clear as to whether some form of legal action has been initiated (e.g., child support, etc.). However, before child support can be ordered, at least paternity has to be proven. I advise initiating a paternity action (if one has not already been initiated), and getting a DNA test ordered for yourself, the child, and the mother. Child support can be sought based on SSD, but considering the child is 30 yrs old, I believe you may have a strong case against any c/s claim this far removed from their minority. I strongly advise that you speak with a family law attorney about this, in part because I suspect there is more going on here than you have stated. Good luck.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . You've left out facts here needed to answer you. To owe support there had to have been a court order against you while the child was a minor. Discuss that omitted information with your lawyer.

3. David J. McCormick

1

1

Answered . Before you can be held liable for child support paternity has to be established. Child support obligations are one of the few exceptions that SS allows garnishment proceedings for.