Can back child support be taken from my SSI Disability check. and how can I make them have a DNA test to prove he is my child?

Clarkesville, GA |

The child is 30yrs old and I have never seen him and was not present at his birth, I never signed the birth certificate and do not believe he is mine. This has just started in the past 2yrs

First, you are not clear as to whether some form of legal action has been initiated (e.g., child support, etc.). However, before child support can be ordered, at least paternity has to be proven. I advise initiating a paternity action (if one has not already been initiated), and getting a DNA test ordered for yourself, the child, and the mother. Child support can be sought based on SSD, but considering the child is 30 yrs old, I believe you may have a strong case against any c/s claim this far removed from their minority. I strongly advise that you speak with a family law attorney about this, in part because I suspect there is more going on here than you have stated. Good luck.

Before you can be held liable for child support paternity has to be established. Child support obligations are one of the few exceptions that SS allows garnishment proceedings for.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

You've left out facts here needed to answer you. To owe support there had to have been a court order against you while the child was a minor. Discuss that omitted information with your lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security