Can armed robbery be droped down to a lesser charge like theft or something if so how?

Asked 10 months ago - Florissant, MO

Like lets say What if someone did an armed robbery but they did it a year ago never caught till a whole new year on a warrant they search the person dont find any weapons on the person or stolen objects takes the person to jail till court can a judge or whoever decide to drop the crime to a lesser charge instead if they dont really have enough evidence?????

1. Andrea R. Rogers

3

Answered . You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you. Your attorney may be able to negotiate a plea bargain to get the charge reduced to a lesser offense. If you try to represent yourself, you risk being convicted and sentenced to the maximum penalty.

2. John M. Eccher

Pro

3

Answered . Generally, prosecutors are not very inclined to drop a serious felony to a lesser offense. However, where the facts of the case and other factors warrant it, they may be willing to do so. As an example, I represented a client charged with the class B felony of 1st-degree burglary for his role in an incident at a casino here in the St. Louis area. After beating up on the State's two key witnesses, the prosecutor agreed to amend the burglary charge to a simple peace disturbance, for which my client spent neither a day in prison nor paid a single cent as a fine, instead being placed on probation for a one-year period. The key is to hire the best criminal defense lawyer that you can afford in order to minimize or eliminate the harsh negative consequences that can stem from such a charge. Good luck to you.

John M. Eccher
    WARD & ECCHER | Trial Attorneys
    (314) 394-2150
    www.WardEccher.com

3. Joshua Sachs

3

Answered . Unless Missouri law is very unusual there is nothing the judge can do about because it is the prosecutor, not the judge, who determines what the charge is going to be. The prosecutor always has the power and discretion to reduce the charge, but the price of a reduction is almost inevitably a plea of guilty to the reduced charge. The failure of the police to find a weapon or stolen property a year later will do nothing to persuade the prosecutor that the evidence is insufficient to convict. I hope the defendant has an attorney for this very serious charge. When it comes to sentencing, judges do not like armed robbers. In the judge's eyes, every armed robbery is a potential murder.

4. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

Answered . If they don't have enough evidence it should just go to trial and get acquitted.