Can anything be done about hiring discrimination if i am white and the people hired over me are Latin w/ limited experience.

Myself and others have noticed a hiring trend with our company that tends to leave many of us out in the cold because we don't speak spanish. Although we have several years experience and are much more qualified for the job.

Naples, FL -

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Family Law Attorney - Winter Park, FL

It is not discrimination to hire someone with bilingual skills over someone who only speaks English, even if the person with only one language has less experience. It may be that the ability to speak Spanish is valued more highly because of the customer base. That is a business decision, not discrimination. It would be discrimination if they were hiring ethnic Hispanics over non-Hispanics because of a preference for a certain ethnicity or a bias against the other ethnicity.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
Derek William Bernstein

Derek William Bernstein

Employment / Labor Attorney - Tampa, FL

Being bilingual is a skill. You are not being discriminated upon becuase you are white, you are being judge up against a person who has a skill that you cannot overcome with your experience. Buy Rosetta stone and even the playing field.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

The law does not mandate that "experience" is the criteria for "qualified" or "best qualified." This is a wide-spread misunderstanding among employees. Employers are free to choose among employees for hiring or promotional purposes based on other criteria such as management's assessment of the applicant's attitude, potential, leadership skills, versatility, etc. Employers are not even required to choose based on job-related criteria, so long as the selection is not based on a prohibited characteristic or activity such as race or gender.

What employees think makes a candidate "qualified" for the job may not be what the employer thinks constitutes "qualified" for the job and the one who signs the checks makes the call.