Skip to main content

Can anyone tell me of a family law attorney who's practices in Alameda County (CA) and who specializes in the rights of RDPs?

Alameda, CA |

I was served with a dissolution petitiion last year and it's been a nightmare and while I'd like to think otherwise, I can't help but wonder if my case would be handled the same if I were a woman, who'd been served divorce papers by my long time, supporting husband. I've since learned she has been filing as a single woman (non-RDP) woman and has completely disregarding property laws in State tax filings over the past few years. I also found the loan papers from a refi that we'd gotten for our house in 2012. I just discovered that despite the specific instructions that as RDP's living in a community property state (even if not for purpose of qualifying), my liabilities were to be listed , she disregarded that as well. Seems that she got the loan as singe, sole and separate (incl. title).

RDP- Registered domestic partners (we've been registered w/ state of cali since 2002). i've since learned that despite passage of community property laws regarding state taxes, my partner had completely disregarded community tax laws the two years prior to our legaly separation in 2013. Her disregard for community tax laws also pertains to the home refi i mentioned above. You may question as to why I would be unknowladable of these facts prior to the dissolution and the answer to that is that she was a high earning sole proprietor since 2005 (for whom i contributed full time myself) and from 2010 on, prepared taxes with me but filed them digitally on her own (i simply trusted her).

Attorney Answers 3


First what is an RDP and then you might try the avvo button above find an attorney and look for one in Alameda, Oakland or San Francisco.

My offices does represent people from Avvo if they contact me but only in the Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside County in Southern California. The answers I give here are not meant to create an attorney client relationship. When accepting clients I conduct interviews face to face and they often take 30 minutes or more. I approach trials and issues from a legal and common sense approach, This is how the majority of judges I have appeared before in 40 years also make decisions. I do not intend by my advice to enter an attorney client relationship and in most cases advise to obtain legal representation. Sometimes if you can not afford it a consultation or limited scope representation is available. As an experienced attorney I can tell you, judges can be impatient, hate emotional arguments and over exagerations or lies. A brief outline of the problems and desired solutions is often best and I d0 limited scope representations advise clients on how to proceed at time of hearing or trial and my fees are considerably less when I do not appear in court as it takes much less of my time.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


My office does handle RDPs and single gender divorces in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. In reviewing your message, I have more questions than answers. Did you sign an interspousal deed for the house? What is the concern about the tax filing? The basic rules form RDPs and traditional marriages are fairly consistent.

The information provided above is general in nature and is not meant to serve as legal advice. The specific facts and circumstances of any particular case may change the suggested course of action.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


There's some type of find-attorney tool at Avvo, you can inquire of your County Bar Association, and you can research via the yellow pages or an internet search.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics