Can anyone PLEASE recommend a legal malpractice attorney in Michigan who would at least listen to my claim?

Three Rivers, MI |

I believe I can prove malpractice. It is a divorce case involving sexual abuse and sexually explicit comments made by my attorney with me being the only woman present on 2 separate occasions. This same atty did nothing to follow up when my ex refused to follow a court order to make car payments, causing my vehicle to be repossessed and the loss of my job. This same atty advised me in an email (I have all emails and a voice recording between he and I) to accept the mediation offer as it was a generous offer and also stating that terms of the QDRO were taxes would be prepaid! Also wrong. I now have a $59,000 bill to IRS. He charged $15009. for his services. The only issue to discuss was the stock. My ex earns $100,000/yr for past 24 years and I earn $10,000/year for past 9 years.

My suggestion is to first consult with another family law attorney. If that attorney thinks that malpractice was committed, he/she can refer you to someone. Since the underlying issue is regarding a family law situation, and you need an expert to say that your family law attorney's decision was a deviation from what an attorney should have done, my thoughts are to get yourself a good family law attorney first. That attorney can tell you and let yo know if what was presented at mediation was reasonable. What I am unclear about, is whether you have discharged or terminated your current attorney relationship. Hopefully, you can find someone to help you. Good Luck.

My atty has previously settled his fees for 1/2 of what he originally charged. He failed to represent me on issues he began, also ordered that I utilize the QDRO funds to pay his bill, mediator bill as well as the negative debt left owing on the car that was repossessed. He has sent me an apology letter stating that he recently took a domestic abuse class and now sees how poorly he handled himself. Does this "help" me prove anything? The audio recording I have is also incriminating. I had no funds available to switch attys midstream and just prayed that he was doing me some good. I felt I could live with the other injustices done UNTIL I learned of how he was, without a doubt being misleading on the terms of the QDRO in efforts to just be done with this case. I have emails stating the taxes would be prepaid. The QDRO which I was asked to sign and return immediately via fax said that the taxes were to be handled per the "laws" and I was unfamiliar with the rules and laws on this so I believed what my attorney said. Not just said, but emailed me. How can this be just an error I should "let slide"? I have proven I am incapable of acquiring full time employment due to back injuries and medical statements. 17 years of my life I sacraficed for my ex to climb the corporate ladder. He had the means and income to pay spousal support weekly, monthly...But the atty recommended (in an email) that I accept this stock. Saying I could utilize a designated portion of it to continue my education, purchase a home, better my life. Once I withdrew funds to pay off marital debt, his atty fees, mediation and furniture, utilities etc-Im left broke and with a $56000 bill to the IRS!!! I had no money to seek alternate representation during the process.

Josh P Tolin

Josh P Tolin

I am sorry for your problems. Yes an admission is helpful. I know two attorneys who handle med malpractice claims in MI, but do not know whether they do legal malpractice claims and both are in the Detroit area. You may want to try them and if they can't help, maybe they can give you a name. Try Geoffrey Feiger, or Andy Muth, you can use my name. My St Peters address is suburban St Louis. good luck

Thank you so much. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

This forum is not for recommending lawyers. You can go to Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool, and you can go down the list of attorneys until you find help. You may want to offer to pay for an initial consultation if you are having problems.

The MIchigan Bar Association may have an attorney referral service. I suggest you check there, or search AVVO for a family law attorney in your area to speak with about your issues