Can anyone on a b1/b2 visa get a drivers licence in US?

Woodbridge, VA |

My brother is here thesed ays to visit me, but im busy with my job. And is hard for me to take a few day off, he gets bored staying home and i have no one who could help me for him.. He is 24 and he has a driving licence in saudi arabia for past 4 years.. So is it possible for him to get a licence here?

Yes in some states, no in others.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

2. He should get an International Driver License in Saudi Arabia, before he comes to the US.

That way he can drive and not break a simple rule: TOURISTS ARE TOURISTS and shouldn't be getting 'local' ID documents.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. Drivers licenses are issued according the law is each particular state.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

4. In Virginia, you cannot obtain a drivers license without proof of "lawful presence" in the U.S. and proof of your permanent address in Virginia. B-1/B-2 visa holders normally cannot obtain a drivers license. Additional documentation requirements for a VA license can be found at the Virginia DMV website:

5. In Michigan you cannot get a driver's license on a B-1/B-2 status. Every state has their own rules. The individual should obtain an international driver's license to drive lawfully while visiting the U.S.