Can anyone offer me information on whether or not you can get into Law Enforcement with a petty theft record?

Boynton Beach, FL |

I was charged with petty theft back in college, first time offense ever in my life! No record not even a speeding ticket. I made a foolish mistake and I would like to get into Law Enforcement or the Military and serve my country. Has anyone dealt with this kind of issue and is it possible to pursue in my goals. I would like to no my options if I have any so I can get my life on a better track. Thank you.

There are people who have made some minor mistakes and have still been accepted into a law enforcement agency. Petit theft may or may not impact your ability to get a job in law enforcement. On one hand it is a very minor offense but on the other it is considered a crime of dishonesty. There is no way to say conclusively what it will do.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Thank you for the information Eric, I didn't know if this incident was going to ban me from taking a better path. Thanks again for the information, I don't have any other resources for information.

Generally, yes. I personally know 2 deputies who had a petit theft charge when they were younger and are no law enforcement officers. You will need to explain what happened & qualify in all other aspects. I'm sure that this 1 mistake will not prevent you from a successful future in your chosen career. Good luck!

Karen J Tufte
Board Certified Criminal Trial Attorney
772-489-9096
www.tuftelawoffice.com

Thank you Karen for the information. I'm hoping I can start fresh with a better path in either fields. I didn't know if this incident would ban me from going into such fields. That's great to know there are officers who have gotten in. Thank you again.

Follow your dreams . Both the military and law enforcement should not be closed based on one minor mistake. Hell, there are lawyers with a whole lot worse on their records.
It wouldn't hurt to get the record sealed but even doing that won't hide it from law enforcement or the military.

Thank you David for the information, I just want to take a better path and put this incident behind me. Will the seal cause me any problems when the background check is file?? Thanks again for the kind words, I don't have really anyone else to turn to. Thanks.

David Richard Damore

David Richard Damore

Sealing the record won't hide it from the military or law enforcement. but it couldn't hurt either. The different branches of the armed services have varying criteria. I'd talked to more than one recruiter in each if the services. I wish I knew more about the criteria but I dont. I really hope you will be successful. Our country needs more like you.