Skip to main content

Can anyone"green card holder" request white passport beside his country's special passport?

Los Angeles, CA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

i heard that white passport only given to refugees not to any green card holder so i would like
to be sure about it before i advise someone to apply

no i don't think she has refugee travel document

Attorney Answers 3


Are you referring to the Refugee Travel Document?

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


What you call a 'passport' is a travel document ... known as a re-entry permit for people with greencards that want to travel out of the us for more than 6 months, but less than 2 years.

Most people with greencards DO NOT NEED this document.

Also, just because someone gets it .. they can still have problems if they leave the US for more than 6 months.
Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law

FIRST 5-10 MINUTE CONSULTATION IS FREE (SKYPE or phone only). e-mail to set up a time that is convenient for both of us:

NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, WE CAN HELP. Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
Do not rely completely on information you get on a website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking any action.

Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or - If you are low income go here: or

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful


There is no such thing as a white passport. There is a reentry permit.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics