Can Any one fill out an I-864 Affidavit of support Form?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Richmond, VA

I'm having truble finding someone tha can fillout the I-864 form for my husband, i have already filled out a form but do not qualify. I have a friend tha is a US Citizen but, he filled for bankruptcy last year, can he fill it out ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, any US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident ... with sufficient income showing on their IRS 1040 forms, can be a joint-co-sponsor.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is not enough information to answer your question. We would need to know more information about the friend's income, tax returns, and other financial information.

    I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney to determine whether this person would qualify as a joint sponsor.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. Efe Poturoglu

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Any U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident can be a joint sponsor. The fact that he filed for bankruptcy does not necessarily eliminate the person. There are other and more important factors. I'd recommend that you at least set up a consultation with an immigration attorney to evaluate whether or not this person can be an appropriate sponsor. The attorney would ask some important questions and might want to review this person's tax returns, W-2s/1099s, paystubs etc...

    The statement above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is intended as general information only... more
  4. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Even if you don't qualify, you must complete an I-864 and submit it with the I-485. As well, any LPR or U.S. citizen may co-sponsor you if they meet the income requirements.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,434 answers this week

3,286 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,434 answers this week

3,286 attorneys answering