Skip to main content

Can another property owner in Los Angeles County post a "no trespass" sign and install a lock to block access to my property?

Newhall, CA |

Hi, I am a realtor who wants to list an unimproved 15 acre parcel in Los Angeles County. The property has a mailing address because many years ago there was a house there (it burned down.) My sellers have owned since 1999 and have used access from a paved public road then across parcel A for many years- till a chained gate appeared. My clients clipped off the locks, replacing it with their own locks-on and off- for the past 4 years. Now, a no trespassing sign is posted on parcel A referring to Ca Civil Code 1008. Two other property owners are affected. Parcel A owner apparently wishes to extinguish my clients' access rights - so what can they do to avoid being landlocked? Road across Parcel A has been there since 1902, and terrain is too steep to access the 15 ac. from anywhere else.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your clients will likely need to consult a local real estate attorney and to obtain a title report to both their parcel and the parcel they use to access their parcel in order to determine if there is an existing right of way. If there is not, the clients might have a claim for a prescriptive easement - which the sign your describe is meant to defeat.

I am not a CA attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.



Thank you. I appreciate your time. Yeah, I advised seller to purchase a title report for Parcel A and for title company to "color code" any and all easements.

Ryan Vancil Esq

Ryan Vancil Esq


Agreed - a title report is the right place to begin.


If seller's position is that he/she already has an easement across parcel A, then of course the no-trespass sign doesn't apply to seller, right? It only applies to others who don't have the easement. But the parcel A owner certainly has the right to have a sign even if there's an easement, so long as the sign isn't blocking the path. In any case, it sounds like an ugly mess that will end up in litigation. The seller should hire a property lawyer to send letter to the parcel A owner demanding access and perhaps explaining that parcel A owner could be sued for interfering (with the lock) with the easement that's existed for years and interfering with a prospective business advantage (yours and seller's) and maybe is clouding title, etc.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Stephen Pearcy is licensed to practice law in California. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response is for legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.



Thank you Stephen. We are hoping that it won't come down to litigation. I suggested to seller to check with the Parcel A owner first, as there could be a simple explanation why he or she is posting the sign.


I agree the only solution for your sellers may be litigation. If there is no recorded easement, there are other theories which may grant an easement to sellers but they depend on unstated facts. Although not the only theory that may be implicated, adverse use certainly is.

An easement acquired by adverse use may be extinguished by non-use for the requisite 5-year period. It appears that is exactly what the owner of Parcel A is attempting to do.

Seller's option is to retain counsel to establish easement rights if they do not appear in a grant and to obtain a temporary and permanent injunction to prevent the owner of Parcel A from interfering with those rights.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference



Thanks, I am going to investigate with title now. It seems odd that no written easement exists. I told seller that the Parcel A owner could be just trying to stop people from dumping trash.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer