Can another owner put a line on our home even though we didn't sign a contract, nor did we know he was contucting any work?

We have a 6 unit townhome, which 3 of those are owned by one individual. This individual decided to do yard work last summer and didn't notify any of the other owners. The HOA president (our neighbor) let us know Bruce is charging each unit $1,000 to cover the expenses. Our HOA is supposed to be a 3/4 ruling for any work. My husband and I are refusing to pay because we were not aware of this work or expense, nor was anyone else. This owner is now saying that he will put a lien on our property if we do not pay. Is he able to put a lien on our property based on lies, and no agreement?

Golden, CO -

Rebecca Mccormick Pepin

Rebecca Mccormick Pepin

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Longmont, CO

It is highly possible that the answer is yes. This depends on your HOA agreement. Please get a copy of the paperwork, and go see an attorney that handles real estate/HOA cases. If your HOA did not follow the rules in doing the work, you may still owe the money, so this really is an area where you want to talk to an attorney and let the attorney flesh out all the important facts to make the decision on whether or not to pay.

Sponsored Listing
John M Connell

John M Connell

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Englewood, CO

I agree that you need to talk to an attorney that handles HOA problems. Since I assume that you got the benefit of the work that was done you might have a problem. If the work only benefitted the three other units that might be different.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Tax Lawyer - Houston, TX

I agree with my colleagues.