Can an undocumented immigrant get a criminal back ground check from the department of criminal investigation ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I wanna go to school, I found this night time school but they are asking for a criminal back ground check and abuse registry check . I have never been arrested or convicted , just a couple of speeding and parking tickets, i came to US on visa.
How to do this? do i need an immigration attorney ? more important question please : do all colleges and universities ask for valid visa ?How to find out

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can obtain a criminal background check using the FBI rapsheet process. As for needing an attorney to change status to student status, that depends on how long you've been here, if you're still in a period of authorized stay and when your classes begin.

  2. Carmine John Giardino

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Representing yourself without adequate legal experience or knowledge can prove to be a challenge. It may not be possible to learn every law or detail. Often times the more complex a case is, the more legal knowledge a person needs in order to be successful. A lack of time, resources, and knowledge are difficult to overcome. It's better to hire a lawyer to handle this. There are a lot of excellent lawyers in your city.

    If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and... more
  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,892 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,892 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering