Can an undocumented 21 yr old still be eligible for Obama's deferred action on immigration if convicted of felony at 15?

White Plains, NY |

Family member was arrested at 15 for sale of controlled substance and had to go through family court as opposed to criminal, was given a plea bargain for 2 counts of possession with intent to sell, no further arrests or any trouble with the law, will she still be eligible for obama's immigration deferred action?

If its Family Court it was not a criminal conviction. However, I don't know the exact wording of the Presidential Executive Order. I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

This is difficult to answer w/o seeing the actual court papers. Go meet with an attorney ... there might still be hope for you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law - franco@capriotti.com

Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
Do not rely completely on information you get on any website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking action.

Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or www.ailalawyer.com - If you are low income go here: www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm or http://www.immigrationlawhelp.org/
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Capriotti International Law
www.capriotti.com
franco@capriotti.com
SKYPE AVAILABLE

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

The Department of Homeland Security has published guidelines already on June 15. There is a link on my website in the news section for the guidelines. If you were adjudicated delinquent then you are not convicted of a crime. However, if you were convicted, you are probably not eligible for the deferred action. If you were convicted of either one felony or one serious misdemeanor you would not be eligible. Contact an immigration attorney for help.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

The law is not yet completed so no one can say yet.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

This question is better suited for an immigration attorney.
---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=0b115f10340a5aa102059a642e1639419d033e5c109db1ad5535c9eb4faca5a534d1dc42c420f486 ) ----------------------------------------

I would think it would be asking for trouble in the form of removal proceedings. The Napolitano memorandum on deferred action for DREAMERS states that deferred action may be denied if the applicant poses a threat to public safety, and I think your conviction would constitute such a threat.

Consult with a competent attorney or BIA-accredited representative.

Daniel Green, Esq.
845-853-7302/347-245-7078
Serving the Hudson Valley, Northeast, and the World Beyond
www.hudsonvalleyimmigrationlaw.com
lawyer@hudsonvalleyimmigrationlaw.com
Location: 684 Aaron Court, Kingston, NY
Mailing Address: PO Box 3238, Kingston, NY 12402

This answer should not be construed as legal advice and should not be relied on to take any action whatsoever; neither does it create a lawyer-client relationship.

We are still waiting for the exact way that the new policy will be implemented. Speak with and retain an immigration attorney before making any decisions. The exact regulations will be released within 60 days of the June 15th memo. It may be beneficial to have an attorney start looking into the issue for you. My firm will handle these cases in NY.
Regards,
Nick Misiti
Misiti Global
212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I would encourage your family member to obtain a copy of his/her criminal docket and consult with an immigration attorney.

Hello. Thank you for the question. To be clear: President Obama's deferred action policy is NOT the DREAM Act. President Obama's deferred action policy is a form of prosecutorial discretion that allows an individual to remain temporarily in the United States and apply for work authorization. It does not confer any kind of permanent residence, nor is it an amnesty. Under this program, deferred action would be granted for two year increments and would be renewable.

In order to qualify for deferred action, you will need to show the following:

1. That you entered the United States under the age of sixteen;

2. That you have continuously resided in the United States for at least five years preceding June 15, 2012 and are present in the United States on June 15, 2012;

3. That you are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;

4, That you have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety;

AND

5. You are not above the age of thirty.

LAW OFFICE OF ARIE EBRAHIMIAN
8889 WEST OLYMPIC BOULEVARD, SUITE 200
BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90211
(888) 980-2743
(888) 980-ARIE
ARIE@DREAMACTLAWYER.US

DISCLAIMER - NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: The information provided in this email is intended for informational purposes only. This email does not necessarily reflect current legal or factual developments and is general in nature. Nothing set forth in this email should be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. Furthermore, the information provided in this email is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Attorney Arie Ebrahimian makes no warranty, express or implied, about the correctness, accuracy or reliability of the information set forth in this email. The information provided in this email should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of legal services with Attorney Arie Ebrahimian or establish an attorney-client relationship absent a written agreement for legal services. Thank you.

Recommended articles about Immigration