Can an out of state DUI license suspension affect your license in your home state?

Asked over 2 years ago - Hartford, NY

I got a DUI in Vermont and got my license suspended in Vermont. I live in New York and was just wondering if the suspension would carry over into my NY license. I am taking the appropriate steps in Vermont to regain my license and so far nothing has happened in NY, but I didn't know if anything would happen by the time I get my privileges back in VT.

1. Richard C. Southard

Pro

4

Answered . YES it can.

If you have a Vermont license and it was suspended, you cannot apply for a NY license until the Vermont privileges are reinstated.

If you already have a NY license...

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.

2. Philip Daniel Hache

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, the majority of states are part of what is called a "Compact" in which they share DMV records with each other. Inevitably, NY will likely find out about the license suspension in VT, but there is a bigger question as to "when" they will take the action. NY may get notice of it immediately, or they may not take any kind of action until it is time to renew your license (which I have heard happen). Ultimately, I would recommend that you contact a DUI defense attorney in Vermont to defend your DUI case and to verify if there is anything in particular that needs to be done with the DMV in VT (for example, in California, a licensee has 10 days from arrest to request a DMV hearing to avoid an automatic license suspension), and to plan a course of action and get a better idea of what to expect. A lot of lawyers give free initial consultations. Good luck.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . NY can honor a suspension in another jurisdiction. NY can also issue their own fines and penalties.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo, LLP
    President, Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County
    1103 Stewart Avenue, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    (O) 516-408-3666
    (F) 516-408-3833
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

Sent from my Verizon Blackberry

----- Original Message -----

4. John Leif Fossum

3

Answered . Yes. Most states are part of a driver's license compact, and if you are revoked in one state the information may be transmitted to another state, letting them know that you have been revoked in their state. If your privilege to drive in Vermont was suspended, they may well pass that information on to New York which may also suspend your right to drive in New York. If you have not dealt with this case in Vermont, you should talk to DUI defense lawyer there about the case.