Skip to main content

Can an out of state DUI license suspension affect your license in your home state?

Hartford, NY |

I got a DUI in Vermont and got my license suspended in Vermont. I live in New York and was just wondering if the suspension would carry over into my NY license. I am taking the appropriate steps in Vermont to regain my license and so far nothing has happened in NY, but I didn't know if anything would happen by the time I get my privileges back in VT.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes. Most states are part of a driver's license compact, and if you are revoked in one state the information may be transmitted to another state, letting them know that you have been revoked in their state. If your privilege to drive in Vermont was suspended, they may well pass that information on to New York which may also suspend your right to drive in New York. If you have not dealt with this case in Vermont, you should talk to DUI defense lawyer there about the case.

    This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.

  2. Yes, the majority of states are part of what is called a "Compact" in which they share DMV records with each other. Inevitably, NY will likely find out about the license suspension in VT, but there is a bigger question as to "when" they will take the action. NY may get notice of it immediately, or they may not take any kind of action until it is time to renew your license (which I have heard happen). Ultimately, I would recommend that you contact a DUI defense attorney in Vermont to defend your DUI case and to verify if there is anything in particular that needs to be done with the DMV in VT (for example, in California, a licensee has 10 days from arrest to request a DMV hearing to avoid an automatic license suspension), and to plan a course of action and get a better idea of what to expect. A lot of lawyers give free initial consultations. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.

  3. YES it can.

    If you have a Vermont license and it was suspended, you cannot apply for a NY license until the Vermont privileges are reinstated.

    If you already have a NY license...

    The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario.

    If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.

    All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website

  4. NY can honor a suspension in another jurisdiction. NY can also issue their own fines and penalties.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo, LLP
    President, Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County
    1103 Stewart Avenue, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    (O) 516-408-3666
    (F) 516-408-3833

    Sent from my Verizon Blackberry

    ----- Original Message -----

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics