Can an officer pat down my 11 yr old for suspect of a donut theft?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pine Knot, KY

Today my son was in a local market. He is a very timid and shy kid and walks around with his hands in his pockets. He is 11 yrs and when he went to pay an officer walked up and ask if he was stealing. He patted my son down and found nothing but the 12 dollars he had to pay for his mt dew and cake. I never even was made aware until my son told me. Is this legal without me being there.

1. Joe Wayne Hendricks Jr.

1

Answered . "Pat downs" without an arrest are only permitted when a police officer has articulable suspicion that a crime is or is about to be committed and the "pat down" is limited to items that pose a danger to others such as weapons. Without reading the officer's report or hearing his basis for stopping your son it is difficult to know if the officer acted lawfully or not.

2. Frank Mascagni III

1

Answered . Review the facts with a local criminal defnse attorney for advice. In general, a police officer can conduct a :pat down" search under certain circumstances. This includes a minor without you being present. These facts are questionable. www.kacdl.net