Can an officer of a local government deny the issuance of a police report on a criminal act related to 720 ILCS 5/17 -3?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hoffman Estates, IL

I was told to contact my state's attorney about the matter. Is forgery of a note criminal or civil in procedure?

1. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . It is discretionary on the part of law enforcement to accept or reject a citizen's complaint. For whatever reason the police, it appears, rejected the complaint. The referral to the State's attorney is giving you a different opportunity to file a criminal complaint.

In answer to your other question, Forgery can be persued as a criminal or a civil action.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . Forgery is a criminal offense and if you were directed to use the State's Attorney route you may proceed as suggested.

3. Barry Franklin Poulson

1

1

Answered . Forgery is a crime. The term "deny the issuance" is hard to follow. You mean they issued one (whatever that means), and now deny they did it? Report a crime to the police. That does not mean you cannot pursue a civil suit, but the police action is free and has a lot of teeth.