Can an non american citizen serve in the US Army?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chico, CA

will he get automatic citizenship if he does?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Permanent residents may enlist. Nonimmigrants, if they qualify under the MAVNI program, may enlist. Once you a member of the Armed Forces, you may apply for naturalization.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is possible to apply for expedited naturalization if serving in the armed forces during periods of active hostilities or war. I recommend that you consult with an attorney for more information.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . My colleagues are correct, SOME, but not all, non-citizens may enlist and SOME, but not all, can naturalize.

    Special rules apply.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,694 answers this week

3,023 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,694 answers this week

3,023 attorneys answering