Can an non american citizen serve in the US Army?

Chico, CA |

will he get automatic citizenship if he does?

It is possible to apply for expedited naturalization if serving in the armed forces during periods of active hostilities or war. I recommend that you consult with an attorney for more information.

Permanent residents may enlist. Nonimmigrants, if they qualify under the MAVNI program, may enlist. Once you a member of the Armed Forces, you may apply for naturalization.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

My colleagues are correct, SOME, but not all, non-citizens may enlist and SOME, but not all, can naturalize.

Special rules apply.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Recommended articles about Immigration