Can an LLC purchase a home in California?

I live in Newhall CA I want to purchase a home I don't have great credit but I own an LLC with impeccable credit. can I purchase a home under the LLC?

Newhall, CA -

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Real Estate Attorney - Sherman Oaks, CA

Your personal credit will affect your ability to purchase a home. In nearly all cases the lender will require you to personally guarantee the loan to an LLC and your credit will therefore be a deciding factor. That being said -- credit is only one factor lenders consider and it is less important as the loan to value ratio decreases.

Justin C. Lowenthal

Justin C. Lowenthal

Real Estate Attorney - Davis, CA

An LLC is a legal entity which can acquire and own property. Therefore, the answer to your question is yes, an LLC can purchase a home. That being said, unless your LLC has sufficient assets and/or credit history, a personal guaranty from you will be necessary. The lender will seek to minimize the risk of their loan as much as possible.

Justin Drayton Graham

Justin Drayton Graham

Real Estate Attorney - Culver City, CA

Yes