Can an lawyer contact my family over my foreclosure.

Labelle, FL |

I had an lawyer contact my grandmother and give her my personal information in regards to my home being in foreclosure. The bank I had the note with had my current phone number and address. Is this legal for them to give out that information and if not what law are they breaking.

1. what information was given to your grandmother? Hard to ID a violation if the details aren't in the description.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

2. In general, an attorney will not give out confidential information. However, it is possible that you were not contacted by an attorney but some sort of debt collection company. Many of these companies are both unethical and illegal however they persist especially in this industry. It is doubtful that your grandmother will remember the phone number that was used to make the call and the details specific enough to place any claim. I would inform her that it was some unethical sales call and tell her to hang up next time they call. Good luck.