Can an IRS agent call you and tell you to pay $1,100.00 now OR we are coming to your work and arresting you for your back taxes?

San Luis Obispo, CA |

I owe the IRS about 60K in back taxes & currently working with an attorney to get a resolution. I received a call today from a man that claimed to be an IRS agent. He ask for the name and number of my attorney? I asked what it was about? He said Its about your back taxes and that he had agents on there way to my place of work to arrest me within one hour and take me to Brooklyn New York to stand trial. I asked for WHAT? He said for the the back taxes that I owed...He then said, I can postpone the matter if I can provide satisfaction. I asked what he meant, he said, make a payment. I said I only had $500.00 today, he said it would take $1,100.00. I explained I did not have $1100 today. He said well then we'll have to arrest you and hung up on me? Does this sound REAL or VALID?

1. NO! Notify your attorney of this shakedown effort.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

2. It does not sound real at all. I would tell your attorney about this immediately. If this happens again I would ask the "IRS agent" for their name, employee number, and contact information, and contact your attorney with that information. This sounds very much like a scam.

Steven A. Jayson, Esq. www.jaysonlawgroup.com Office 908-258-0621 DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. THIS IS GENERAL INFORMATION AND LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. PLEASE CHECK WITH A LOCAL ATTORNEY OR CONTACT THE IRS OR STATE TAXING AUTHORITY WITH ANY QUESTIONS.

3. It sounds like a scam to me.

4. This definitely appears to be phony "IRS" call that you received. That is not the IRS operates. An IRS employee usually will not contact with the taxpayer to collect unpaid taxes by phone; it usually first contacts the taxpayer by letter and then with a personal visit (or a "field call" in IRS parlance). Although the IRS will visit your place of work, mainly when a taxpayer owes unpaid payroll taxes, an IRS collection officer (Revenue Officer) is not permitted to threaten you with jail or criminal prosecution if you don't make a payment.

I suspect that some fraudster/miscreant obtained your name and contact information from a publicly recorded tax lien in an attempt to shake you down for some cash. I would report this incident to the IRS Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration ("TIGTA"). See http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report.shtml. TIGTA can then look into your report and decide whether criminal investigation of the caller is warranted.

Good luck in figuring out who is behind this scheme.

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.