Can an international student who is 17 be adopt by a US citizen?

Asked 8 months ago - Haverford, PA

My parents are fine and they agree with this adoption but they will still paying for my tuition. My host mom wants to adopt me, she will also come back to China with me this summer for visit.

1. Kathryn L. Hilbush

Pro

Answered . If I am interpreting your question correctly, you're from China and you believe your parents are willing to have you adopted by an American citizen? Mr. Miller is correct - once your biological parents' rights are terminated in conjunction with an adoption, then are no longer your legal parents and have no financial or other obligation to you or rights to you. I can't imagine that this is what they actually want. Are you looking for a fast track to citizenship? I suggest that you post this as an immigration question to see if you receive any other responses.

2. M. Todd Miller

Answered . Beware that once terminated, the natural parents aren't obligated to continue paying for your tuition. I encourage you to speak with a family law attorney near you when possible.