Skip to main content

Can an inmate get his sentence shorten upon getting married while incarcerated?

Lynchburg, VA |

This man is in a level one prison and is serving a 3yr sentence for something that someone else took the fall for but he still had to serve time since he took a p;lea bargain because he was scared of getting more time just because of being associated with the person he was with.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Respectfully, getting married has no impact or effect on the duration of a sentence imposed by the Court. On the other hand, unless this sentence was the statutory minimum sentence required by the charge he pled to, a Motion for Reconsideration of the sentence could be filed. This would require specific grounds to support the Court changing the sentence, which would need to be discussed and developed with a lawyer who is admitted to practice law in VA. Good luck.

    Since I do not practice law in your State, this answer is provided solely for informational purposes only, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.