Can an inmate get his sentence shorten upon getting married while incarcerated?

Lynchburg, VA |

This man is in a level one prison and is serving a 3yr sentence for something that someone else took the fall for but he still had to serve time since he took a p;lea bargain because he was scared of getting more time just because of being associated with the person he was with.

Respectfully, getting married has no impact or effect on the duration of a sentence imposed by the Court. On the other hand, unless this sentence was the statutory minimum sentence required by the charge he pled to, a Motion for Reconsideration of the sentence could be filed. This would require specific grounds to support the Court changing the sentence, which would need to be discussed and developed with a lawyer who is admitted to practice law in VA. Good luck.

Since I do not practice law in your State, this answer is provided solely for informational purposes only, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.