Skip to main content

Can an inheritance be set up so the receiver does not lose welfare housing?

Seattle, WA |

My sister is living in welfare housing. She gets medical assistance & food stamps too. We are inheriting a large amount of money. Is there a way that we can set it up so that she gets some sort of "allowance" so she does not lose her housing?? It is not enough money to live on forever & she would end up homeless

Attorney Answers 4

  1. It may be possible. You need to speak to an attorney experienced in wills and trusts. I will add that as a practice area for this question.

  2. Consult with an experienced local elder law attorney about whether a special needs trust would accomplish your goals. You can find an elder law attorney here on Avvo by using the "find a lawyer" tab. It is not clear to me whether this inheritance will be coming from someone who has already died or not, but the options will be dependent on that fact. In any event, consult with an elder law attorney because even if a trust will not work, you ought to be able to get good advice on how to minimize if not eliminate the interference with her medical assistance, etc.

    It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential issues that may not be addressed by your question. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information and are not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The answer provided is intended to educate you and point to issues for you to raise in a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim(s) without first seeking the professional opinion of a licensed attorney.

  3. Speakmto an elder care attorney who will have knowledge of Medicaid and other govt. supplements. A supplemental needs trust may be established to hold her share of the funds from the inheritance so as to not disqualify her from her current benefits. Understand that whatever money gets set aside may one day go to the govt.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

  4. It depends on many things -- age, etc. The local attorney we use for such issues is Sean Bleck. I'll attach a link to his website for you. Good luck.

    Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.