Can an individual request to obtain footage from traffic cameras in Houston, TX? Can it be used in for car accident?

Houston, TX |

Houston Transtar has camera's mounted in most major hi-ways and some streets all over the city. Just monitoring the traffic - not used for ticketing. Can individuals request for footage for a certain date? Possibly using it to determine fault in a car accident? Houston Transtar has the camera views available to the public on their website.

Done a few more digging. Found out on the website: "Cameras along the roadways are used for monitoring traffic and incidents or controlling the operations of traffic signals. Houston TranStar does not record video or save images from these cameras."

1. Am I missing something or did you sort of answer your own question? You can always ask for footage. An attorney usually has pretty good luck asking for such footage, particularly if it is needed for a driving issue.

Best of luck to you!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

2. You can always ask for it, or your attorney can ask for any video footage. If you are in a lawsuit, your attorney can serve a deposition on written questions with subpeona duces tecum asking for the company to produce any video footage.

How long the company keeps the video footage is unknown???

The information above is for informational purposes only, is not intended as legal advice, and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. This will be difficult. Consult a TX attorney to know for sure.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.