Can an independent contractor of three years claim unemployment benefits?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hayward, CA

This is my first time being a contractor. I was an independent contractor for three years. I was laidoff and haven't found a job in a few months. I have no more saved income to help me. Ive been living off the money i was going to use to pay off my taxes with and I haven't filed my taxes since i started working with them. They also didnt take taxes out of my paycheck so i know i have to pay on the taxes that weren't taken out. I dont know my options for this and hope i can recieve some helpful advice and information to follow.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If the company mis-classified you as an independent contractor, you can argue that you were an employee and are entitled to unemployment. The legal test for employment, generally, is whether the employer exercised control over your work - were you directed when to complete the work and how to do it. There are other factors that are looked at as well - did you work in an office, did you use the company's equipment... You should talk with an attorney - you may have a shot at getting unemployment.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The issue is whether you really were an independent contractor or actually acted in the capacity of employee. If you were full time only for this company or individual and they told you when you would work and what you would do you may rally has been an employee not an independent contractor. If you file a request for unemployment benefits they will probably object and you can have a hearing and a decision will be made whether or not you can qualify for benefits.

    This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client... more
  3. Answered . If you were improperly classified as an independent contractor when in fact you were an employee, the employer will be liable for contributions to your Social Security account, unemployment account, state and federal taxes, and more. You will still have to pay your share of taxes. The employer will also be subject to various fines and penalties; some of those penalties will be paid to you, and can amount to a good amount of money.

    The general rule is that a person is an independent contractor if the employer has the right to control or direct the RESULTS of the work but not HOW the work is done or even WHAT work is done.

    Many employers misclassify workers as independent contractors and pay them as "1099 employees" when in fact they should be classified and paid as regular W-2 employees. Employers receive a substantial benefit from doing this, but there is NO benefit to the workers. If a worker is wrongly classified as an independent contractor instead of an employee, that worker will not be eligible for many benefits of employment or eligibility will be reduced. Areas affected include the right to:

    – be paid for all hours worked or controlled by the employer;
    – the legal minimum wage;
    – overtime pay;
    – rest and meal breaks;
    – workers' compensation insurance;
    – Social Security contributions;
    – unemployment benefits;
    – state disability benefits;
    – employer benefits such as vacation, sick leave, pension, medical insurance, etc.

    Also, in some states, including California, employers are subject to a penalty if they misclassify employees as independent contractors (see below).

    There are different ways to determine if a worker is an employee or independent contractor. Employers must comply with all relevant laws.

    FEDERAL TAX LAW: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) looks at three areas to determine a worker’s status:

    Behavioral Control – This area considers instructions and training. If the employer has the right to direct or control the work, even if it does not exercise that right, the worker is an employee. These instructions might include when to do the work, or how and where to do it; what equipment or tools to use; who the worker can hire or not hire to help get the work done; what supplies and services to buy, and/or where to buy them. If the employer trains the worker in required methods of doing the work or the procedures to get the work done, this is evidence the employer wants things done its way, which indicates the worker is an employee and not an independent contractor. Therefore, if the employer gives the worker detailed or extensive instructions on how to get the job done, the worker is probably an employee and not an independent contractor.

    Financial Control – This area considers who has the right to direct and control the business, not just the work. The more of a financial or promotional investment the worker has made in the work, the more likely the worker is an independent contractor. However, there is no requirement for an investment in order to meet the definition of independent contractor. If the worker incurs expenses in performing the work but is not completely reimbursed, the worker is more likely to be an independent contractor rather than an employee, especially if these expenses are high. If the worker has the chance to make a profit or loss on the work, the worker is probably in business for himself or herself and therefore an independent contractor.

    Relationship of the Parties – If the worker does not receive benefits such as medical coverage, vacation, or pension, the worker may be an employee or an independent contractor. However, if the worker receives benefits, the worker is probably an employee.

    (continued in Comment below) *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Unfortunately, in every state, a portion of "payroll taxes" that an employer takes out of each employees check in addition to Social Security and Med Pay is a portion for FUTA which relates to unemployment benefits. If you were employed as an independent contractor by an employer who misclassified you as you were really an employee given the degree of control the employer exercised over the terms and conditions of the job, you could apply and might be given benefits if you had been misclassified. As an employee, it is not you, but the employer who is responsible to pay for that deduction. The state could pursue the employer for unpaid contributions for FUTA. If you were working for yourself as an independent contractor owing your own business, you are out of luck. If you were an employee entitled to benefits, you may open yourself up for problems because you failed to pay income tax on wages earned. Your employer might be required to issue you a W-2 on the estimated income in order to make such an amended filing. Unfortunately, the taxes you owe might exceed any benefits do you making this a difficult decision to make without more information.
    Many employers do violate the law through misclassification to avoid not only the 7.45% payroll tax but other things such as workers' compensation. It is a problem for the states as misclassification or "paying workers under the table," results in enormous loss of taxes as well as problems like this where you might have to seek other types of financial help such as food stamps, etc. due to lack of money. Best of luck.

Related Topics

Unemployment compensation after job loss

Unemployment compensation is money you get from the state if you lose your job and it's not your fault. It helps cover your expenses while you look for a job.

Bradley Paul Rothman

Florida Unemployment Appeals

Generally, you are entitled to unemployment benefits if your employment was terminated for reasons other than "misconduct" as that term is defined by statute, or if you resigned your... more

Employee wages and payroll taxes

Payroll taxes are paid by employers and employees on each paycheck, which include Medicare and Social Security taxes as well as federal income tax withholding.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,419 answers this week

3,653 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,419 answers this week

3,653 attorneys answering