Skip to main content

Can an immigrant travel within USA only with passport but not visa without being deported?

Redondo Beach, CA |

I want to travel from California to Ohio but I have no visa I came illegal to USA.
is it a problem if I travel without visa?
or if I get married and get to start my process to get a green card will the lawyer give me something to prove that Im in the process to fix my status?
or is better not travel?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Not without substantial risk, particularly if flying or traveling near the border.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Under the circumstances you described, it is better not to travel.
The answer to your second question is a conditional yes.


You are taking a considerable risk traveling through the continental U.S. being illegal and having come to the U.S. without any documents.
To wit, I know that some of my clients were apprehended even within the U.S. on the Armtracks and Greyhound buses during the random check points.
Also, you are taking even a more serious risk if you travel by planes from federal airports that have federal agents that may and will check your documents upon some suspicion.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


I agree with the concerns the other lawyers share on this post, it's not a smart idea. You should however immediately speak to an attorney about Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). I do free consultations as do many of my colleagues on Avvo.

Best of luck,

Sanjay A. Paul, Esq.
(888) 373-2602

This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer