Can an illegal immigrant travel from state to another without getting aressted?

Asked about 3 years ago - Decatur, AL

i entered the US by a vistor visa and my visa aleady expired and i live in alabama and i am thinking about moving to NY becouse the new immigiration low , so can i get ride to NY without getting caought ? i am not going to drive somebody else going to , and i don't have any kinda ID but my passport , and i really need to move , whats the best way should i use? amtrack or greyhound or my friend give me ride ?please help me

1. Eliza I Stefaniw

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is no safe way for you to travel in the US until you have corrected your immigration status by obtaining another valid visa or leaving the country. You should contact an attorney to make the best arrangement you can.

If you want to travel from Alabama to New York you may have a problem if immigration officials request proper documentation, regardless of how you travel.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . 1) There is no new immigration law.
    2) No one can guarantee that you can travel out of status without any problems.

3. Andre R. Olivie

Answered . I am not sure what new immigration law you are talking about, but immigration laws are mostly federal and thus the same in all states. You should discuss your immigration status with an immigration attorney so that you know all your rights and options for adjustment if possible.

You are always at risk of coming into contact with immigration agents and being placed in removal proceedings for having overstayed your visa, but in practice many immigrants travel throughout the country without ever coming into contact with an immigration agent.

We can not give you advise as to how to avoid immigration authorities, but they generally are not looking to prevent people from traveling from one state to another.

4. C. C. Abbott

Answered . Any person who is out of status risks being found every day they exist within the United States. The "immigration alw" you speak is not a law it is a comment made by USCIS that people in deportation may be reviewed. The best help I can give you is to contact an experienced attorney to review your case and determine if there are any options available to you. Be careful of notarios who will say they can "fix" your status but will only steal your money and make false promises.