Can an illegal immigrant get a divorce without the risk of being deported in nyc?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bronx, NY

illegal immigrant living in nyc, wants to divorce american wife that lives in nyc as well. Illegal immigrant does not have contact information to wife anymore after moving out. However, would like to file for divorce.

1. Howard A. Schwartz

1

Answered . You will have to serve your spouse to obtain a divorce. I suggest speaking to a matrimonial attorney to go over your options. Good luck.

2. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

1

Answered . No attorney will tell you that it is impossible that you will get deported, but being referred to ICE for removal by the family law court is pretty unlikely.

3. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

1

Answered . Your question really seems to be about your risk of deportation versus divorce. Your best bet on getting an answer to your immigration question is if it is posted under the immigration practice area. Accordingly, I've edited it. With regard to the Divorce itself, if you meet the residency requirements you can file for a divorce without having your wife's contact information. You will have to conduct a due diligence search, but the Court can order an alternate means of service if she can't be located.

4. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Answered . If your status is illegal no matter what you do you always need to be concerned with this risk. However i will note that citizenship is not a question that is asked usually in a divorce. Status is not one either. I cannot imagine why there would be an ICE refferal, but you may wish to speak to your immigration attorney.
    As to the divorce you mention you do not know where she is. If she is a citizen it may be possible to locate her with a search using her information especially if you know her SS number. Ann attorney or agency can help with that. if you are able to locate her you may be able to serve her and she may simply sign the documents allowing for a simple uncontested divorce. If however you cannot locate her there are other options such as divorce by publication.
    It may be a good idea to sit down with a local attorney.