Can an illegal alien make a police report?

Asked 3 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a friend who is an illegal alien. Her friend was robbed by someone she knows. However, she is afraid to report it to the police because of her illegal alien status. What can she do? Will something happen to her if she files a report?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Galorah Keshavarz


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If your friend lives in Los Angeles, CA, please advise her to make a police immediately. She should cooperate with the local police to report the crime and there will not be any immigration consequences for her. In fact, if she cooperates with the police and the crime qualifies under the U visa category, she may be eligible to obtain legal status. Please have her contact a local attorney to discuss further. Many of us on Avvo offer free consultations.

  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If that friend cooperates and helps the prosecution of a crime, she might be on her way to obtaining an U visa.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  3. Ji Min Kim


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If she cooperates with investigation/prosecution of qualifying crime, she may obtain U visa status.

    The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing... more
  4. Rebecca Ixchel Pathak

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . If your friend is willing to assist law enforcement with an investigation of the crime, he or she may be eligible for a U or a T visa and may be eligible to gain lawful status in the U.S. It is important that your friend consult with a qualified U.S. Immigration Attorney to help guide her through the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,927 answers this week

3,030 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,927 answers this week

3,030 attorneys answering