Can an identity theft victim who lives overseas bring a civil suit for damages in US court?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

The victim of an identity theft lives overseas while the identity thief now lives in the US. Can the victim be represented by a lawyer in the US to sue for damages against the Identity thief in a civil court?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Harlan Stempler

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, venue may be proper in several places, including where the defendant lives. Jurisdiction is also proper where the defendant lives. Thus, you may file a civil suit against a defendant where they reside. Please check out my legal guide for victims of identity theft, linked below. If this reply has helped you, please indicate that below.

    Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
    Twitter: @RStempler

    NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal... more
  2. Stephen Scott Pearcy

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Yes, in fact the victim is more likely to succeed on the jurisdiction issue by filing suit where the defendant lives.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Stephen Pearcy is licensed to practice law in... more
  3. Athina Karamanlis Powers


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Depends . You asked the same question before.

    Attorneys in the U.S are aware of the U.S Visa Lottery Identity Theft scams from certain African Country.

    Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for theft

Theft is taking someone's property without his or her consent. Theft includes, but is not limited to, shoplifting, taking someone's mail, and stealing a car.

Criminal charges for fraud

Fraud is a white collar crime in which someone deceives another to secure unlawful or unfair benefits, such as financial or political gain.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,163 answers this week

3,454 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,163 answers this week

3,454 attorneys answering