CAN AN HOA FORCE FORECLOSURE

Asked over 3 years ago - Denver, CO

I OWE THEM FOR PAST DUES AND THEY HAD A LAW FIRM CONTACT ME AND THEY SAID THAT IF I DID NOT PAY THEY WOULD FORCE ME INTO FORECLOSURE ON THE PROPERTY. CAN THEY DO THAT?

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . yes they can. They can record a lien on your property for nonpayment and then foreclose.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . In most states, the HOA is treated the same as a taxing authority, like your real estate taxes. So absolutely, they can & do foreclose. Some people have made a lot of money buying properties at HOA foreclosure sales.

Hope this perspective helps!