Can an ex spouse ask for alimony after 2 years divorced and it was uncontested

York, PA |
Filed under: Divorce

Divorced in pa

No claims of any kind can be raised after a divorce has been finalized. All claims must be raised or preserved prior to the divorce decree being signed by a judge. Litigation after divorce is typically limited to enforcement of court orders entered during the divorce case that divided assets and debts and/or awarded alimony.

I'm in agreement with the first response you received;I would only add to the list of legal issues that survive entry of a divorce decree are those concerning children of the marriage. Custody and support are always subject to supervision/change by the Court.

I'm licensed in California so of course responses by attorneys licensed in your state would be more astute. Generally, unless waived or otherwise agreed to or adjudicated, support issues remain for a period of time depending on the facts of your case. Did you have a lawyer at the time? If you did, call your lawyer. If you didn't, call your lawyer. Whether the divorce was uncontested doesn't really answer the question as to whether alimony is appropriate and necessary in your case.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is hjohns@hjohnsatlaw.com and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.