Skip to main content

Can an employer withhold an employee's W-2, if that employee owes money to the employer?

San Antonio, TX |

An employee owes the business money, and refuses to repay. i am trying to find out if they can legally withhold the w-2 until issue settled and what can the employee do to get the w-2.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. The first answer is NO. The issuance of the W-2 form is mandated by Federal Law. The second answer is that you should call your local IRS office and ask for guidance.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics