Can an employer withhold a commission check for not meeting a monthly quota?

Corpus Christi, TX |

This was never mentioned in the contract. It was mentioned verbally several weeks after being hired, never in writing. Upon calling the regional manager it was agreed that this was not in any contract, only that he was asking for employees to meet certain quota on several specific items.

1. It would depend on your contract and whether you are an at-will employee. If you are an at-will employee, your employer generally has the power to change the terms of your employment arrangement. Your employer may not be able to do it retroactively, but your employer probably can do it prospectively. You would need to discuss the precise details of your arrangement with an employment lawyer.

2. I agree with my colleagues, you will need to speak with an experienced employment attorney.

Best of Luck!

The Law Office of Andrew Chung, PLLC. (832) 409 0117. Andrew@Chung-Law.com . The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.