Can an employer take away personal/vacation time I earned?

Mount Vernon, OH |

I was a full time employee last year earned 9 days personal time and 2 weeks vacation time. I went part time January 7 2013. In april of 2013 they decided that part time would no longer receive personal time or vacation and took away what i had earned from the year before.

Unfortunately, under the law, employers have a great deal of discretion when it comes to how they handle vacation time. In fact, there is no law requiring that vacation time even be granted to employees. That being said, you may have some legal recourse. Is there a written company policy that dictates the vacation policy? If so, you may have a claim for breach of implied contract, as the policy creates an “implied contract” that you can point to as establishing certain standards.

I would recommend that you speak with an attorney who is familiar with contract law, and who can go over the specific facts of your case and determine what, if any, legal recourse you may have.

Lori A. Strobl
Strobl & Associates, Co. LPA
1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
Centerville, Ohio 45459
(937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.

Depends if it's in your employment contract.
What does your "Employer-Employee Handbook" say?
Do others get vacation time?
You may have a lawsuit on "reliance" or "expectation"
as other attorney noted.
You can always REPORT boss to OHIO Department of Labor.
Good luck!

Recommended articles about Employment